Roselidden History

As we restore these beautiful granite buildings we are also unearthing the historical roots of Roselidden. In addition to the local knowledge we have so far gleaned,  we are amassing more details through research in the Cornwall Archives. Here is an edited version.

1500’s

Roselidden area mined for tin. Known as one of the wealthiest mines in Cornwall. Probably tin streaming, and shallow workings only. In 1536 John Haymor, a freeman and lessee of ‘Roslyn’ was fined 44s for raising and allowing others to raise tin without a license from the Duchy. He had to fill the workings in.

1700’s

Deep mining at Well Close and Trenethick Wood (to the west), Roselidden (to the north) and Wheal Widden (to the east) using horse whims to raise the ore. Over 100 men are employed in the Roselidden mine, which produces between 800 and 900 sacks of black tin ore each fortnight.

1810

Mining largely abandoned. Area mapped. Roselidden buildings shown in use as a laundry.

1835

Work restarted at Wheal Widden, Engine House built and shafts sunk to 60 fathoms, but little tin was found. Work abandoned.

1848

Work restarted, and a great deal of tin found at 60 and 110 fathom levels.

1850’s

Mining abandoned. Roselidden buildings reconfigured. Farmhouse, piggeries and barns built to serve 50 acre farm.

1900’s

Dairy added to the farmhouse, barns extended. Coach House and Bullpen built.

1930’s-  1940’s

House leased to RNAS Culdrose for Officer accommodation.

1950’s- 2000

Mixed farming with milk cattle, pigs and hens, until the owners retired in the 1980’s. Bulk of the farm and buildings sold off to neighbouring farmers. The farmhouse is left to a nephew, is no longer used and it gradually decays.

2008- present

Hadfield family buys the farmhouse, the old outbuildings and a seven acre meadow. Restoration starts.

2010 Farmhouse is habitable, grounds are reclaimed and shelter belt of trees and hedges is planted.
2011 The Well House is completed.
2012 Long Barn and Hayloft are reworked and put to use again. Underfloor heating is installed, powered by a ground source heat pump.
2013 More work on the Long Barn; completing internal decoration, the floor and the kitchen, and continuing the external pointing.
The Well House has a successful season of holiday lettings.
Driveway is resurfaced, and entrance area re-walled.
2014 The wood fired pizza and bread oven with adjacent sheltered seating area is completed and used in earnest for the first time.
Green oak steps are built leading from the Mowhay to the Hayloft.
The toilet for disabled persons and laundry/shower facilities are finally finished in the Long Barn.
2015 Work starts on the Bullpen; tree stumps are removed, walls repaired, roofing started, open pen walls built up and roof structure built.
Wood burning stove is installed in the Long Barn.
2016-2018 Work continues on the Bullpen, which is eventually finished and furnished.
The area between it and the garage/workshop is flattened and grassed (although there are plans afoot for a large wildlife pond to be dug there!).

2019 Work starts on the ‘Dream Barn’, the last remaining building requiring renovation, and the largest project of them all. One half has no roof, so this must be rebuilt, but before that all the internal wooden lintels have to be replaced as they have rotted through. Who knows how long it all will take……….